Menu
Home Page

Spelling

Spelling in Year 5 and 6

The majority of spelling patterns outlined by the National Curriculum (60%) have already been introduced in Years 3 and 4.  The remaining 40% are taught in Years 5 and 6 and spelling patterns from Y3 and 4 are revised.

In addition to these spelling patterns, common exception words are also taught.  These are words which do not follow a particular pattern.  Both sets of words must be taught to ensure children have a sound knowledge of spelling before moving onto high school.

 

On this page you will find:

Common exception word lists (Y3 & 4, Y5 & 6)

Spelling patterns taught in each year group

Spelling words previously arising in KS2 spelling tests

 

  • St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School,
  • Wallsend Road, North Shields,
  • Tyne and Wear, NE29 7BT
  • 0191 2573097
  • 0191 2005851
  • info@stjosephsrc-primary.co.uk
Top