What is DT?
"Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you look deeper, it's really how it works."
"Technology makes possibilities. Design makes solutions."
Design and Technology prepares children to deal with tomorrows rapidly changing world. Throughout primary school, it develops skills and knowledge in design, structures, mechanisms, electrical control and a range of materials, including food.
Design Technology encourages children's creativity and supports pupils to become independent, creative problem solvers and thinkers, both as individuals, and part of a team.
The Design Technology Curriculum at St Josephs:
- Enables children to develop the skills they need for designing and making through range of creative and practical activities.
- Provides opportunities for children to work in a range of relevant contexts, reflecting the real world.
- Develops children’s ability to investigate, analyse and evaluate a range of products, applying their understanding and technical knowledge across a range of products and materials.
- Develops the understanding and skills needed to prepare and cook healthy food.
- Develops transferable skills, such as, communication, resilience, team-work and problem solving.